3 Things I Learned About My Phone Addiction {And How I’m Applying It!}

phoneaddiction
phoneaddiction_1

I am addicted to my phone. Like I literally can not be without it. I’m not big on talking on the phone but I’m always texting and checking social media every 2 seconds. It was a huge addiction.

Until my phone decided being my sidekick was too much for it to handle. It was a beautiful sunny day and I was coming home from grocery shopping. As I was running up the stairs to my apartment my phone decided it no longer wanted to live. It flew out of my pocket and smashed right smack into the pavement. I got there too late. My sidekick was gone.

But I know I didn’t treat it right. My phone could have been saved. I never protected it with a phone case. Like ever. I have the Gold Galaxy S7 and I didn’t like covering up the back. But I learned my lesson this time around and immediately headed over to Amazon to get myself a case.

It’s cute right? It doubles as a wallet and right now it’s been doing the job. If you want it you can get it here. Just don’t get the same color as me. Lol. Kidding 🙂

Okay, enough of the dramatics. You get the point.

Getting a new phone was no biggie. I could’ve easily called AT&T and had a replacement phone within 2 days. However, I decided I needed a break from my phone. I knew I was addicted to it and wanted to see how I would live without it. So I spent almost a month without a phone. And it felt SO good. However, the way my life is set up I can’t function in my responsibilities without a phone so I eventually had to get one. But I learned so much during that short lived season.

I Can surive
I didn’t know I could. But I did. As I disclaimer, I do have a android tablet. But for some reason using social media on my tablet was weird for me so I didn’t do it as much as I would on my phone. I live alone so I used TextFree so my family wouldn’t be worried. I only gave the number to my immediate family, my boo, and 2 of my closest friends. That was it. Everyone else was sent to email.

How I’m Applying It: Simply put, it’s no longer attached to my hip. If I’m in my bedroom I can leave my phone in the kitchen without a care in the world. I’m proud of me.

I Can turn phone off
Prior to this experiment, I NEVER turned off my phone. The only time it’s off is when the battery dies but I never willingly turn it off. During this time I learned that it’s okay to turn off my phone. In fact, it’s healthy. I found myself less stressed without my phone. I always have this weird feeling that I’m going to miss something important if I turn it off. But, you know what happened when I didn’t have my phone for almost a month? When I finally got my phone all of my messages from the days I didn’t have a phone were still received. I didn’t miss a thing. Magic!

How I’m Applying It: It’s still a work in progress but I’m getting into the habit of turning off my phone once a week. Even if it’s just for a few hours. That rest from your phone can do wonders for you mentally.

I don't respond
Because my phone is attached to my hip I always feel the need to respond to messages as soon as they come in. As soon as I hear a notification I’m picking up my phone to look at it. And my friends know that I’m constantly with my phone because if I don’t respond on time I hear “But you always have your phone on you though.” SMH. I realized being seen as easily accessible can be a good and bad thing. It’s okay to let a message sit for a while, especially if it’s not that important. That’s why it’s a message. You get to it when you can.

How I’m Applying It: I let messages sit. It’s not because I don’t care or because the person isn’t important. It’s simply because I need to rid myself of that impulsive need to respond the second a message comes in. I no longer pick up my phone as soon as it makes a sound. I think that’s progress! In the same light, I no longer expect others to respond to me immediately.

Are you addicted to your phone? Hope these quick tips will help you break your addiction like it’s doing for me. Still a work in progress but I’m getting there!

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

Jordan
    July 25, 2017 at 8:39 am

YES! I love this post. As a mom, this is definitely something I need to take to heart. My husband and I both are trying to be careful about living our lives behind a screen when our daughter is watching us and trying to interact with us. These are great reminders, thank you!

Tosin Moji
      July 26, 2017 at 7:19 am

Hey Jordan! I’m studying to become a speech pathologists and that was actually one of the encouragements that my professor made. Not only should parents be more aware of how much they use the phone (and other electronics) but parents should also be mindful of how often they allow their children to use it. Interaction is key! God bless and thanks for stopping by!

Virginia
    July 25, 2017 at 10:43 am

This is something I need to do myself. I feel like I spend too much time on my phone! It’s so easy to just keep scrolling on Facebook or Instagram. There are so many other things I could be doing, like reading a good book or spending more time in the Word. Thank you for this!

Tosin Moji
      July 26, 2017 at 7:26 am

Hey Virginia! My goodness Facebook and Instagram is soooooo addictive. But after I’m done scrolling through my feed I just think to myself “What did all the scrolling just add to my life?”. Sigh. It’s a struggle but I’m getting there. Thanks for stopping by!

Ronnie
    July 25, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Yes, the age of the cell phone! The trap is in the fact that they’re much more than phones! Lol. They can do so much. I’ve been trying to work on this as well. So I can totally relate.

Ronnie

Tosin Moji
      July 26, 2017 at 7:27 am

Ronnie, I barely use my phone to call! LOL! Like I literally use if for everything but talking on the phone. It’s crazy how this little gadget can take control of us if we let it. Keep working on it sis 🙂

Rosanna@ExtraordinaryEverydayMom
    July 25, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I have set up several boundaries so that I don’t allow my phone to control. #1: I keep in my bedroom during the day so I don’t hear notifications/beeps from texts. #2: I turn off my phone in the evening for the night. #3: I don’t turn on my phone for about 1.5 hours in the morning. #3: I don’t have data on my phone so I’m not tempted to check sm while I’m out. #4: I have actually turned off my wifi so I don’t get onto sm when I’m home. These things all help me. *Disclaimer: I do have a landline so I don’t have to have my phone on all the time

Tosin Moji
      July 26, 2017 at 7:30 am

Rosanna! Oh Wow! I commend you. I don’t think I can do half the things you do! Ha! But you just gave me more motivation to keep working on cutting my phone use down. Thank you for inspiring me 🙂

Peggy Overstreet
    July 25, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Just like parents who need to be available for their kids, I keep my phone on me to be available for my elderly folks. However, I became aware that I was abusing the phone by overuse on stupid things, &:then wondering why my prayer time was suffering. It’s easier to say No to the phone’s incessant beeping now.

Tosin Moji
      July 26, 2017 at 7:22 am

Peggy!!! That is it. I realized to that I spent way more time on my phone than in my prayer closet. I’m glad you’re taking control of your phone habits now. God Bless.

Josephine
    July 25, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Great post! Yes, I am more attached to my phone than I should be. However, God has recently been helping me with it. Thanks for your post. It was an encouragement to continue with becoming less needy of my phone.

Tosin Moji
      July 26, 2017 at 7:16 am

Yes please continue! We use to live without it before, right? LOL! Thanks for stopping by 🙂